Training // Shoulder Training Routines for the Water Polo Player
Hey, OCWPC Athletes & Families – Former OCWPC Alums & Coaches Chandler and Troy Kaltenbach put together a training series on Shoulder Mobility Work for the water polo player! These are a series of exercises that can easily be performed anywhere around the house, as long as you have access to a resistance band.
All of these movements can be performed in less than 10 minutes. Do these exercises wherever you can find free time – before you start your homework, when you wake up, etc. Learn them and start to do them a few times per week. Shoulder health is extremely important in water polo.
The focus on each of these movements is to maintain control. Do not rush through these! The more control you have, the better off you will be.
Below are some suggested repetitions and the corresponding times in the video. You can change the number of reps depending on skill level and comfort.
- Band Pull-Aparts (01:12) // 2 x 20
- 90/90 External Rotation (02:07) // 2 x 10 each arm
- Band Set-Up (03:29)
- Internal Rotations (04:10) // 2 x 10 each arm
- Overhead Extension (05:17) // 2 x 20
- Shooting & Passing Intro (05:48)
- Warm – Up Passing & Shooting (06:57) // 2 x 10
- Shooting with Emphasis on Follow Through (07:30) // 2 x 10
- 3 Fakes to Shot (09:20) // 2 x 5
- 2 Fakes to a Shot (10:38) // 2 x 10
- 2 Fakes to a Hesi Advanced (11:25) // 2 x 5-10
Thanks for watching! Hope you enjoy. Be on the lookout for more videos in the future.
Let’s go OC!